Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Is this me?

Tao of Poker - Donkeys at the 2008 WSOP

I'm a fan of Pauly's blog, though I haven't really kept up with him with any regularity. The picture he paints of the $1,500 WSOP events is pretty bleak. Thousands of clueless donkeys being led to the slaughter, and then braying about their terrible luck to their loved ones during the walk of shame through the Amazon Room and back to their hotels. Hundreds of home game heroes and weekend warriors with dreams of poker glory filling their sad little heads. And the local Vegas pros who are only too willing to relieve the poor wretches of their precious bankrolls.

Naturally, I would like to think of myself as one of the winners. I have spreadsheets and logs that tell me that I'm a winning poker player. I've played at enough cardrooms and in enough house games to feel that I can go toe-to-toe with just about any low- to mid-stakes player the country can offer. I definitely think I have an edge in your typical donkament field. I would like to think that I'm different.

But this is the World Series of Poker.

And EVERYONE thinks they are different.

Probably the only way I'll find out what role I'll be playing in the Rio's annual Fish Festival (alternatively nicknamed "Slaughterhouse Rock") is to actually find out. Buy a seat and play in the damned thing. One tournament loss doesn't necessarily doom a poker player to the depths of obscurity forever, but one big win can certainly propel him to some ridiculous heights. I've already decided to take my shot, as stated in previous posts. But reading that Tao post today was pretty freakin' sobering. Quite the cautionary tale.

Forking over fifteen Benjamins isn't something I can take lightly just yet. So I'm going to have to try my best to make this an investment, and not just a charitable donation.

No comments: