Thursday, July 2, 2009

Fantasy Update

My, how things have turned! Billy got off to an insanely hot start with Phil Ivey winning two bracelets and Daniel making two final tables as well. He was running away with it early on, as all I had to show for my team were a bunch of near-misses and heartbreaks. If we had bet instead on cashes without final tabling, I would already have won handily.

But I made a YOOGE comeback. After being down some 40-odd points, I have roared back to open up a nine-point advantage, thanks to Erik Seidel, Roland de Wolfe (who won his first bracelet and completed the so-called 'Triple Crown of Poker"), and Barry Greenstein all making two final tables each. J.C. Tran ran over his final table on his way to a bracelet as well, and David Williams, Max Pescatori, and Matt Glantz all chipped in.

Now I just have to fade the Main Event and I'm home free. But even though the Main Event is such a ridiculous beast that it's conceivable that no name pro will ever win it again, with the way I run in prop bets against Billy, I won't feel safe until he is drawing completely dead.

(I did allow myself a bit of a gloat, however: I offered to accept $19.50 to let him out of our $20.00 bet early. He politely declined.)

Bad beats:

-Andy Bloch is dead to me. As are ElkY (Grospellier) and Hellmuth, my top two picks.

-How did neither of us pick John Juanda?? He has gone deep in more than his fair share of tourneys this year.

-Where the hell did Jeff Lisandro come from????? Three bracelets, in three different Stud variants? Are you kidding me?? (He actually won the tourney I played in ...)

-Billy made a terrible move by suggesting we change the league from 10 players to 15. David Williams, Roland de Wolfe, and Matt Glantz are the only reasons I'm alive in this thing ... all he's gotten out of it are a few sparing points from Shannon Shorr and that single Ted Forrest point. Ouch.

No comments: