Thursday, July 2, 2009

Lessons from the WSOP

This post is kind of a carry-over from the last one, but with less narrative and more big picture stuff.

First, a little generality I have found to be true about Stud players. In my experience, you can always tell the great Stud players because it seems like they are always making full houses, and it always seems like their weaker two pair hands are still good. That's because these players have really great memories and awareness of the cards that are out. They seem to show down more boats because they only draw to live hands. For instance, if they make a 'surprise' pair on 5th street, they know whether to play it aggressively or passively based on the cards other players have previously folded. They remember, and so they have a better sense than the average player of how likely they are to fill up.

The reason they win with hands like 7's and 5's is along similar lines. They can tell how likely their opponents are to have better hands than them based on the cards that are out. So not only are the great players on the lookout for cards that can help their hands, they are also evaluating how likely their opponents are to have improve their hands as well. Quite the feat.

Well, one of the super-memory guys was the new player on my left. I recognize his face from previous WSOP footage, but I have no idea what his name is. Same goes for a few other people at my table. Can't quite place them.

As I had hoped when I first considered playing this tourney, there were several players who obviously were good overall poker players, but who were not all that experienced in Stud hi-only. There were definitely some dabblers at my table. I used that to my advantage in the early going, as it became clear that these players probably wouldn't last as long, and as the tournament wore on, this dead money would become scarcer and scarcer (just like any tournament).

Like I said in a previous post, one of the things that struck me the most was being one of the better players to start. I had not expected to be in that position at all. I had expected to play tight, wait for good cards and hope that they help up in the shark tank. But when I saw one older gent who is completely clueless, one guy who is the ultimate calling station, another guy constantly drawing to dead hands ... instincts just take over. When the table is playing so passively, I can't help but to attack more often. So that's what I did.

Having said all that, you still have to run well to go far in a tournament. I learned that I am good enough to play in the game, by virtue of lasting as long as I did. I wasn't completely dead money -- were it not for a bad beat (Kings Up improving to beat my Aces Up) I would have been one of the chip leaders. I busted in the middle of the tourney, after all. But at the end of the day, I still lost my $1,500 just like the guy who busted out first. No last longer bets going. It just meant a stay of execution for me. As I walked out, I couldn't help thinking about what if I had put the money towards cash games.

I think I chose the event wisely. There were not as many experts in this game as in, say, a no limit hold'em donkament, just as I had hoped. Also, I was right about the scheduling. With the big names over in the Amazon Room playing more prestigious events, I probably had a better shot at making the money in a WSOP tourney.

There are no events left to play this year. But I will be back for sure next year. And I will make sure that next time, a single tourney isn't such a large hit to my bankroll. Mark my words.

No comments: