Thursday, May 17, 2007

Mass debating ...

… is definitely +EV.

My blogmate/roommate and I get into some pretty intense discussions (arguments) about poker strategy. These go down probably every other day, on average, and can really put me in a bad mood at times. But their benefits are nucking futs. The big (and probably obvious) one is learning new ways to play hands. For no limit players especially, the variety of methods of achieving profit maximization is fairly large, and having discussion with other players just gives you more weapons in your poker arsenal. This is the beauty and value of things like the Two Plus Two forums.

Sometimes, Billy and I come to an agreement on the best way to play a hand given our collective knowledge of the game. Other times, however, we are unable to come to a real resolution. Chalk it up to our style differences, or maybe just to our egos. Whatever the reason, there are times when we simply cannot come to terms.

These situations still have a lot of value for me, because they allow me insight into how another poker player thinks. Even if I consider that thinking incorrect or unreasonable, it gives me a window into the way many of my opponents may be playing their hands against me. By arguing with my poker friends and turning things over verbally, I am able to get away from the expectation that the other players will be thinking and playing their hands the same way that I am. It serves as a reminder that not everyone in the poker world (or the world in general, for that matter) sees things like I do.

I’m writing this today because we had yet another of our famous mass debates. I don’t think there was much of a conclusion, but eventually I just had to stop it because of frustration. But whether or not I think Billy was right on this one, it is an absolute certainty that I will find a way to use this information against him. =P

No comments: