Wednesday, January 31, 2007

How Could I Play This Differently? #2a

This hand happened a couple days ago and I didn’t know what to think about it. I didn’t know where I played it well and where I played it poorly. My first remark is more of a disclaimer. I didn’t play this hand in a typical fashion and I’m not looking for advice as to how you should play this hand most of the time. Instead I decided to play the hand cautiously because I felt I could get my opponent to commit a lot of chips on the river if she had anything.

Here we go.

I look down at the 3 of clubs and the 5 of diamonds in the big blind. Things are folded around to the small blind who I privately call the bitch who went south with my money but will refer to as the small blind for niceties sake. She just calls and we see the flop.

The flop is the ace of hearts, the two of hearts, and the four of hearts. Sweet I flop the straight on a dangerous board. The small blind checks to me. What should I do?

First, I consider the situation and my opponent. We are playing $1/$2 No Limit Hold’em and the pot is a little less than $4 because of the rake. My opponent started the hand with $90.63 while I started the hand with $150.80. She also has been playing very loose. I would estimate that she was seeing somewhere between 80% and 90% of the flops and it didn’t matter too much if it was raised pre-flopped. She continued to play loose and aggressive after the flop and wasn’t afraid to lose chips attacking perceived weakness. However, she had gotten knocked down to less than $50 in chips and just went on a nice run to get to $90 so she was feeling confident. I felt sure that if she had any sort of hand she would be willing to stick all her chips in the middle as she rode the rush.

So I bet $2. In terms of what I’m holding, it doesn’t mean that much. However, it forces her to give away information. It doesn’t give her great pot odds to hit her flush on the turn. Also, my made straight means I don’t have to worry about her catching two pair or trips on the turn in case she has something like a K-4 with the king of hearts.

What do I expect to happen? I think if she has nothing either she will fold or bluff with a check-raise of around $10. I think if she has the flush she will just call. I think if she has something like a pair and a flush draw or two pair she will raise but not large enough to scare me out of the hand if I have a low over-pair or a pair and a worse flush draw. These bet sizes are a little specific but I felt I had a good read on her betting patterns.

She check-raises for $6 more. What do I do?

Given my previous logic, her hand falls into the good hand and doesn’t want to lose me yet category. My read that if she has anything decent I will be able to get all her chips in the middle fits perfectly with this range of hands. Also, I think if she has two pair or a set or perhaps even an ace with a good kicker, I can wait to see the river and still get her to commit if another flush card doesn’t come.

I decide to play it weakly (aka safely) and see what the turn card is. I just call.

No comments: