Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Paired Kings on the Flop

A few days ago I found myself in an interesting situation. I had pocket 9s on the button. There were two other players in the hand and both had me covered. The flop was K-K-6. Both players checked it to me. I bet the pot. I figured if neither player had a king, I was ahead and by betting the pot, they would either fold or incorrectly chase. Of course, both players check-raised all in and I had to fold. They turned over pocket queens and pocket jacks but a nine would have hit on the turn. I kicked myself for not checking and seeing the turn for free.

After discussing the hand with Jun, I felt slightly better about the situation. I was wondering if I was incorrect to bet there and he convinced me that betting was the correct move. By betting I am giving myself more options to win the pot. If I check, the only way I will be able to win the pot is by hitting a nine. Jacks and Queens aren't going to check around again most of the time. If I bet, I give myself the opportunity to take down the pot by representing a king. Also, queens and jacks are likely to just call and then check the turn giving me two cards to hit my nine for the price of one. Jun felt my big mistake wasn't in betting but in the size of my bet. He reasoned that if I had flopped trip kings, I would have bet half the pot because I would be afraid of losing my opposition. By betting the pot, it looks like I am trying to win the hand now and it is unbelievable that I would have the third king. Looking back, it makes sense especially considering that I almost never bet the pot on the flop.

Today, I found myself in a similar situation but with two differences. This time I had Ace-King on a king king jack board. There was only one other person but again I had position. I did my "I have an ace and am wondering if I should make a continuation bet" hesitation then I set the bet amount to about a dollar more then half the pot. I click bet but before I release the mouse, Jun's commentary comes rushing back to me. I move the mouse off the bet button, reset the bet to pot size, and push it out towards the middle. My opponent check-raises me all in and I of course call. He turns over J-10. Obviously he didn't believe me. To rub things in, the turn gave me quad kings and the river was another jack.

Rarely does advice offer this quick of a return. However, it was a good $200 reminder of the benefits to playing level 3+ poker.

No comments: