Monday, December 18, 2006

Confession

*As always over here, I wrote this without knowing you replied. I'll download it to read later.*

J, I’ve been holding something back. I guess because it takes away from my argument. I have to concede to you about your choice of strategy, at least in regards to the point concerning losing that final bet. For a tight player like me, I want to be called all the way to showdown. I’ll have the best hand pretty much all the time. However, for a loose player like you, its better for the calling station to fold because you are going to be pushing with jack shit a lot of the time and don’t want to show it down. I understand I just don’t like it.

I was reading Poker and Finance Part 5 from Two Plus Two last night and it made me think about why people get so upset by your method. One of the points made was that when you sit down at a table (assuming you are going to win), you either have to increase the losses of the losers or take away from the winnings of the winners. It argued that the losers would notice less than the winners. I think that’s what’s going on here. By yelling at the calling station, you aren’t just threatening to take away some of the winner’s profit, they are at risk of losing that fish completely. And since many, probably most winners, are tight aggressive players who rely on fish like this, you are threatening their livelihood. Or so they perceive.

I still stand by most of my points. I think it was a bad play to put out that effort on a player who you could easily beat and someone most would want to come again. But I understand why you did it and the logic behind it. It took me awhile but I see some of the light. Just wanted to let you know that.

No comments: