Monday, December 18, 2006

Re: Re: Re: Inducing Tilt

J, I only had a chance to briefly read your replies and I will do so and respond in more detail already. I should clarify a few things. It does not matter if you were pretending to be on tilt or actually were on tilt, I think its a bad play in that situation either way.

You say I misrepresented the hand because I did not put how big your preflop raise actually was. I only did that because I knew it was a lot but could not remember the exact amount.

You say that you got all your money in when you were 3:1 ahead. That's not true. You put all your money in while you were behind. You raised and were called. Then you moved all in blind. That's not getting your money in when you are ahead. You put your money in when you didn't know where you stood because you hadn't seen the flop yet. The other guy got to see the flop and call with top pair.

Perhaps you don't think people play worse when someone is being a dick at the table. Perhaps your right and conventional wisdom is wrong. We could debate that for hours on end and neither of us would be able to prove it. However, would you agree that it makes the experience less enjoyable for everyone involved when someone is acting that way? Would you think that someone who isn't very good and probably hasn't played a lot will want to come back after that sort of experience?

But those are all side points. The bottom line... You made it sound (at least to me) like you had been digging in on this guy all night long and that him calling your big preflop bet was partially because of this. But you didn't actually start rippin the guy until after that hand. He was a calling station before and after. And we both agree he was one hell of a calling station. Also I never said it was a strategy that didn't work but that it was one that should be used sparingly. But the thing I don't understand is this: Why would you try to make the calling station uncomfortable and weak and fold his hands on the river when you could keep your mouth shut and let him keep calling on the river also? Why lose that extra street of dough that he is willing to pay to see if his 9s are good?

And J, you said I pay attention to short term results too much and that I ignore the long term results. Well what are long term results made of? A bunch of short term results. And how do my long term results look? Pretty good I'd say. So yes I put emphasis on short term results. I have a bad day and I try to figure out what I'm doing wrong and why I am not winning. I believe this makes me a better poker player. It may just have been short term variation and luck that caused my bad day and it may have been poor playing on my part. How would I know unless I am paying attention to my short term results? And how much harder would it be for me to fix something wrong if I had been doing it for months instead of hours?

No comments: