Monday, December 18, 2006

Poker for the Jungle: Exercise #1

This game focuses of sharpening one’s skills in hand selection and pot odds in a short-handed setting.

Three players, A, B, and C, each ante $0.25. Two of the players’ actions are set and the third player is the actual person. In my case, I am player B. After the antes, the cards are dealt. The players with set actions (A and C) complete the bet for another $0.75 each. Then I have the option of folding or completing the bet also. There is no more betting after this and the rest of the cards are dealt.

I am basically putting myself in a situation where I get 3:1 pot odds preflop every hand. $2.25 to $0.75. If I called every hand, I would theoretically break even. However, the immediate goal is to have a positive income through folding. The ultimate goal is to improve my ability to select starting hands and a better understanding of pot odds.

It sounds so effortless. Beat the opposition through the simple act of folding. Apparently not. At least not for me. I am currently in 2nd place. Player A is doing worse and Player C is doing better. A lot better.

Through 400 hands, Player C is +$35.94 while I am down $12.25 and Player A is down $23.69. (I know the numbers don’t exactly add up but that is from rounding.) I am only ahead in 2 of the 7 poker variations that I am playing.

I find it surprising how wide the total variation. Especially in the light that if I never folded, each player should break even. It is also interesting seeing the differences in my fold %. I fold a lot more in 7 Card Stud and Razz (40+%) than I do in Omaha and 7 Card Stud Hi/Lo (<30%). Yet I am near even in 7 Card Stud, 7 Card Stud Hi/Lo and Omaha while destroying Razz. There are only two explanations currently. Either my sample size is still too small or the optimal folding % varies greatly from game to game. Probably it’s a combination of the two. Anyways, here is the current “score”.




Total Profit
Player A -$23.69
Player B (Me) -$12.25
Player C +$35.94

No comments: