Sunday, December 17, 2006

Re: Re: Re: Trap Gone Bad

B: You must have missed the "just kidding" line.

But the last part of your most recent post, I can definitely get down with. It is much harder to be successful as a "LAP" than as a "TAP." That's why a lot of the pros will advise you to play tight and aggressive, even when their own styles don't necessarily correspond to their words. The thing is, a Gus Hansen or a Sam Farha know how to consistently win with any two cards. You probably don't. They are so good at reading other players that they know when their rags are good and when they should be folded. You probably aren't. Furthermore, they have the reputations of experts going for them. You, in all likelihood, do not.

I am nowhere near the players I just mentioned in terms of poker skill or reputation. But I do have a pretty good knack for reading people's strength or weakness, and I use that talent every opportunity I get. This is a large part of why I don't find much success playing online. I can't observe my opponents' tells the way I could in a live game. The exception to that is sit-and-go's, which I can take down with some regularity. That's only because I have a pretty good overall strategy. Maybe I'll outline that in the next post.

Long story short, I agree with Billy in the main. You try to play like Gus Hansen, chances are you're going to get burned. There are exceptions out there, and I salute those of you who are able to pull it off. But most players would do well to stick with playing tight, and aggressive.

No comments: