Sunday, December 31, 2006

How Could I Play This Better?

Lately I made a move to Tony G poker. They offer a great bonus through www.pokernews.com. It’s 200% up to $600 plus another $75 on top of that if you deposit at least $10. However, there seem to be some issues with withdrawing your money from them and I’m currently hoping its not an elaborate scam and that I get my money back. I’ll keep everyone posted. You can read about the problems here.

Anyways, there seem to be quite a few people at Tony G that play big pairs really passively and just let you hang yourself. I’ve been struggling against these players when I myself get a big hand and am hoping for some advice as to how I could play better. Let’s take a look at an example.

I am playing a $0.25/$0.50 No Limit Holdem game. There are 8 people seated.

I am in seat 4 with queens and about $50. I raise to $2.00. The button and both blinds call.

The pot is $8.00.

The flop is 9-10-j with 2 spades. I have the queen of spades. Big blind checks. I bet $6.00. Button immediately calls like he’s on a draw. Small blind calls. Big blind folds.

Pot is $24.

Turn is a low miss like a 4 of hearts. It’s checked to me and I bet $20. The button calls and the small blind folds.

The river completes any flush draw but not a straight draw. I shut down thinking he hit his flush and check. The button checks too and turns over pocket aces. I am flabbergasted. I went from having doubled up (at $50) to being stuck (at less than $25) on my last hand of the night and I couldn’t even say I was sucked out on or that I even had a clue how I was beat.

So here is my question. How could I have played this hand differently that would have saved me money but ultimately still been a good play assuming we don’t know what he had? Did I play it well and lose the minimum? Could I have played it better? Also, are there any general strategy tips for playing against these types of players other than make a note and be careful later?

No comments: