Sunday, December 17, 2006

Pop's Weekly Home Game

I played in my dad's weekly home game tonight. It was two ten dollar, thirteen player sit and goes. So I went with 20 bucks. What we didn't know is that they changed it in the past week to be rebuy tournaments. So right off the bat I was at a disadvantage. The players were pretty bad which would have kept me alive if I had cards. They were calling everything to the river on any pair or draw. So the first tournament I was doing okay. Had a good stack with about 8 people left. Top 5 get paid. I have late position and the guy immediately to the right of me tries to steal by betting an outrageous amount compared to the blinds. I look down at A-J suited and reraise all in. Big blind calls and the stealer calls. BB shows A-10 off and stealer shows 10-2 off. Got em. Right now I knock out two players and take the chiplead 62% of the time and they win the hand 18% (A-10) and 19% (10-2). They both flop a 10 but I flop a flush draw. I still have a shot but it's not great. Needless to say I miss and am now crippled. So few hands go by, someone gets knocked out and there are now 7 left. I pick up pocket 7s UTG with the upcoming big blind at half my remaining stack. I get called by A-Q suited and lose the race when he hits an ace on the turn. Few hands later my dad calls all in with a-j and the other person has a-10. The guy flops a 10 and my dad finishes on the bubble. Guess 10s were unlucky for us.

Onto the next tournament. I only win 1 hand (my only playable hand considering how wild people are being since they know they can rebuy). It gets down to 7 players and I get lucky. I am all in as the big blind with K-9. Someone raises enough to knock everyone out of the hand and shows A-4. He has a 60-40 lead but I'm getting more then enough pot odds because there were some limpers. I river a straight on the guy. A few hands later I push all in w/ A-9 off and the guy calls me with K-9 clubs. I am 70-30 ahead. Ironically, he rivers a straight on me with the same 10 that I rivered him earlier with. Now I am crippled again. I pick up queen 10 of hearts at the cutoff position and raise all in. The small blind is already all in for less then the small blind a-4 offsuit. The big blind calls with 8-3 offsuit. The odds preflop here at 43% for me, 36.6% for the guy with the ace, and 20.5% for the guy with the 8. 8-3 rivers an 8 to knock us both out. My dad took 4th in this tourney to win back his two buyins for the night.

Unfortunately I think this will be my only time playing with these guys. I am not interested in bringing the amount of money needed to properly pay a rebuy tournament every week. Still had fun though. Great feeling to sit there and be able to call out peoples hands within a few spots of their kicker (like k-8 when its k-6). Also was nice to play a live game.

No comments: